Sunday, March 1, 2015

Rainbow Chips


Food memories.

Grace just spent the last 30 minutes looking through scrapbooks for the picture that shows when she first fell in love with rainbow chip icing.  

It's her birthday and she made a special request for her cake- a funfetti cake with rainbow chip icing.  After spending time looking in various grocery stores for the elusive can of icing, we turned to the internet and discovered that Betty Crocker no longer makes the icing.  This fact has led her down memory lane, as she looks back on all of her previous birthday parties.  

We laugh at the power of food memories, and trying to recapture the magic of past experiences.  Like trying to find a pot of rainbow chips at the end of the rainbow.

5 comments:

  1. Ahh this reminds me of an info graphic I saw today, Play the moments, pause the memories, stop the pain, rewind the happiness. Sounds like you've got the good stuff down pat! I love your ending 'chips at the end of the rainbow.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. That brings back my own birthday cake memory (who does not have one?). My mother made loud rainbow cakes. No puny pastels! With loud frosting to match. We kids loved them. I suspect other parents of being less excited. Years later I mentioned the cakes and she made me one for my 40th birthday

    ReplyDelete
  3. That brings back my own birthday cake memory (who does not have one?). My mother made loud rainbow cakes. No puny pastels! With loud frosting to match. We kids loved them. I suspect other parents of being less excited. Years later I mentioned the cakes and she made me one for my 40th birthday

    ReplyDelete
  4. How old is your little one now? Mine is 17! Funfetti cake is the best! Glad you got to share some memories, even without the icing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hard to believe that my little one is 23.

    ReplyDelete