Friday, January 18, 2019

Dear deer

Pausing to see the beauty that greets me every morning
as I walk.

The light had not yet shone,
as I walked down the hill,
taking in the peaceful stillness that surrounded me.

Lifting my gaze farther down the hill,
I see the deer stopped in its tracks.
Then another jumps into view, 
and then 
Another.

I stop in my tracks to watch.
They begin to jump and prance across the front yard, 
at the bottom of the hill. 
The dog then sees them and wants to investigate.
I hold her off for a few minutes as we watch them dance across the snow covered yard
underneath the light of the streetlight,
and the stars above. 

As we approach, 
they head to the safety of the woods,
playfully, jumping, leaping across the fence and underbrush.

I am filled with gratitude
that this is my neighborhood,
on a quiet morning,
on a quiet street,
on a cold, snowy morning, 
hosting a play date for the deer, 
and I witnessed the beauty of what God created.

No comments:

Post a Comment