Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Bridesmaid Dress

My daughter is in the throes of "what was I thinking when I agreed to be a bridesmaid."  It is her first time of being a bridesmaid and she excitedly said yes when she was asked last year at this time.  

Eight months ago she ordered the dress as mandated by the bride-to-be.  It was supposed to come in October.  When October came, she was told that the dress had come in but it was not the size that was ordered.  It will come in November.  No dress in November.  Definitely December.  Santa didn't have it on his sleigh.  January snow, and February seemed to leap right over the dress.  Now it is March.  It finally came and it is now in her possession.  

Upon trying it on, she sighs, unhappy with the design and the fit of the dress.  Looking at her reflection in the mirror, she asks "what was I thinking when I agreed to be a bridesmaid?" With images of the movie 27 Dresses flashing through her mind, she vows that she will rethink saying yes the next time she is asked.  If only. 

7 comments:

  1. Ba ha! I had to laugh, thinking of the heinous bridesmaid dresses in my own past. It's such a rite of passage--supposed to be an honor, but really can be quite a pain. Hopefully she still has a blast at the wedding and is able to laugh about the horrible dress with the bride decades later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have so MANY dresses from being in weddings. I heard now you can "resell" them or rent them. I agree with "If only" really hard to say no. Loved this slice --took me back in time!
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My niece has rented many dresses and they have all looked beautiful.

      Delete
  3. I just received my 13th (!!) bridesmaid dress, for my brother's wedding in June. My closet does rival the closet from 27 Dresses, in number, not variety. :-)

    My advice? Focus on the person you love and why you said "Yes!" - being a bridesmaid is all about supporting the people you love, even when you'd rather be wearing a paper bag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice, which I will pass on to my daughter.

      Delete
  4. Focus on the relationship with the bride.

    ReplyDelete