Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Casual Conversations

"Did you run in the race this past weekend?" 
I hear a voice from behind me.  Then I remember that I am wearing the shirt from the race.  I assume that "The Race" that she is referring to is the marathon. 
"I ran the 5k part of 'the race'" I reply almost apologetically.  
"Did you run?"  I ask. 
"No.  I saw your shirt and I know that the race was this past weekend." 
"Are you a runner?" 
"Yes. But I haven't yet run a marathon.  Just a half.  I was wondering how the course was." 
From there we compared races that we have run and goals that we have set.  I explained that I was coming off a foot injury and the 5k was a test to see if it had healed.  At that point, I realized that I shouldn't feel guilty that I didn't run "the race", that goals are individual and independent from other people, that I need to run my race. As I finished loading my groceries, we wished each other well in pursuing our goals for future races. I am now ready to run my race. 

4 comments:

  1. I'm always impressed by anyone who can run a race...no matter the length. Mit takes a lot of prep and dedication to make a go of it! Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is something we all need to be reminded of--"goals are individual and independent from other people." How wise of you to take that away from a chance encounter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This line is phenomenal, "goals are individual and independent from other people..." One worth remembering.

    ReplyDelete