Thursday, March 24, 2016

Cherry Blossoms

I Going to see the Cherry Blossoms was not part of our plans today.

"What are your plans today?" asked my daughter as she was getting ready for her commute. 

"I have dentist appointment" I replied.

"I am going to go for a long walk" replied my husband. 

"You should go see the Cherry Blossoms.  They are supposed to be at their peak" states my daughter. 

My husband and I looked at each other.  Today was our first day of spring break and we were content to just stay close to home. 

"It's supposed to rain tomorrow.  You should go today.  You can get your walk in as you walk around the Tidal Basin.  It's not that far away.  Take the Metro." My daughter continues to try to convince us. 

My husband and I just look at each other.   The thing is that we have lived in the DC area our entire lives and forget how fortunate we are to live so close to the Nation's capital.  

"Let's go!" And off we went to explore the city that we take for granted and take in the blossoms that look like delicate puffs of clouds. 




2 comments:

  1. Saw this title in your poem on March 31 and hopped over to it. I was glad for the ending- I wasn't sure if you were going to get there! I have never been in DC at the right time to see the cherry blossoms, but I was lucky to see them in Tokyo many years ago. They really are so delicate and beautiful. In Tokyo, people take picnics and sit under the trees. Sometimes there are arguments about which tree is the most beautiful (some of the picnickers have a little too much sake!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great experience it must have been to see them in Tokyo. This year people were crowded under certain trees to take selfies with the monuments in the background.

      Delete