Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Practice

Note to self- on yoga nights, write my slice before class, because my mind is in a different zone after practice.  Hard to come back down to Earth.  But tonight's practice reminded me of the importance of sticking with and continuing to try difficult poses.  

The book My Daddy is a Pretzel is a favorite of my students.  A student will check out the book, and while waiting for the rest of the class to finish check out, the student will lead others in going through the poses in the book.  One day, as I was joining in, I mentioned how the crow pose has been a challenge for me.  Well of course, I had a few students show me how it was no problem for them.  Ever since, each week they ask about my yoga class and if I am able to do the crow.  Week after week I report that I keep trying, but have been unsuccessful.  

Tonight was the night.  When it was time to try, I sunk down, listened to the yogi's prompt, and started to lean forward.  I watched my feet, as I was able, to begin lifting up my toes, so that just my big toes was connected to the mat.  Then continued to lift my big toes up, and I was airborne. I lasted 3 seconds before I came tumbling down.  Feeling like I wanted to shout my success, I quieted myself down, and tried again.  I was able to hold it the next time for 5 seconds. I couldn't wait to tell my daughter after class about my accomplishment.  And I can't wait to tell my students that I did it.  I can't hold it as long as they can, but I was finally successful. 

5 comments:

  1. I totally want to buy the book, My Daddy is a Pretzel now! I just looked it up on Amazon. I haven't done yoga in awhile, but your post reminds me of the power of a clear head and limber body. I applaud you for your grit and perseverance with the new pose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to look that book up, too! I think I'd be the first to say, "Yoga's killing me!" My body doesn't ever seem to twist the way I want it to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post makes me want to try yoga. I loved how you slowed down to describe the pose in detail, which allowed me to imagine it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! How exciting! I remember my first time mastering crow pose... I felt the same exact way! I bet you can't wait to tell your students tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can imagine it's hard to come back down to Earth after Yoga. I used to do yoga when I lived in Manhattan. It was the best way to escape the hustle and bustle of city life!

    ReplyDelete