Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Present

Opening car doors this morning at arrival, 
"I have a present for you" a student informs me, 
And promptly hands me a bag from Barnes and Noble.

Unexpected and out of the blue, 
I pull out Big Nate Lives It Up,
Not only am I the recipient of the the latest Big Nate book, 
It is made out to me and signed by the author. 
The family trekked to see the author in person last night, a school night. 

Mom explains that my classroom last year provided the starting point.
He found and read Big Nate in third grade.
I kept him supplied in books he wanted to read, 
Talked about the books he was reading, 
And gave him recommendations. 
And now, a year later, he had turned his younger brother on to reading. 
She told me of how they talk about books and 
authors like Gutman, Pierce, Griffiths, and Patterson, 
Devouring books and following authors.

I thanked them for thinking of me and of course, I thanked them for the book. 
Yet the best present was the feedback she gave me and 
The knowledge that I had had an impact. 


2 comments:

  1. What a great gift - the book and the feedback. I am doing a presentation tomorrow on motivating readers and I discuss everything that you did for this student. He was very lucky to have you nurturing his reading life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's wonderful! It's so nice to know that your conversations and relationships with kids and parents are lasting ones. Bonus! A new book for your classroom. Enjoy! Jennifer Sniadecki

    ReplyDelete