Friday, March 6, 2015

Slipping, sliding, running

My daughter had an idea.  "Let's run in the snow!"

It was currently snowing.
There was already 6 inches on the ground. 
We had just spent time shoveling our driveway.
No plow had been by yet.
We live on top of a horseshoe hill. 
We are in training for a St. Patrick's Day 5k. 
Most of our training has been done at the gym on a treadmill.

I needed no convincing.  My husband, on the other hand, needed reasons explained and expectations outlined. 

Eventually the three of us set out, in our boots and bundled up to run against the fall of snow.  As we tried to determine whether it was better to run in the fresh snow or try to find tire tracks to run in, we fell into a rhythm.  

Slipping, sliding, running. 
Slipping, sliding, running. 
Slipping, sliding, running. 

The slope of the road to reach our house is steep.  With the unplowed snow, cars have trouble going up it.  So heads down, feet moving, we inched our way up the hill towards home. 

Slipping, sliding, running. 
Slipping, sliding, running.
Slipping, sliding, running. 

"Whose......idea...... was......this?" my husband panted out when we reached our destination. 

As the snow continued to fall, walking to cool down, his breath caught, he marveled "It's so nice to be outside when it snows."  

Yes, let's go run in the snow. 





7 comments:

  1. Good for you! Running in the sun is not my thing let alone in the snow!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! Running in the sun is not my thing let alone running in the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed your post. I like the repeats of "Slipping, sliding, running."

    ReplyDelete
  4. You nailed this experience in words!! I am a runner, too! I have run in some less than perfect conditions, however heven't tun on ice! Impressed with your family's tenacity. You guys definitely created long-lasting memories! Good Luck in the St. Paddy's 5k!🍀

    ReplyDelete
  5. My hubby hopes it won't be his last memory!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the rhythm of your post! I was able to imagine your steady pace, chugging along through the snow. Great read! And good luck with your 5k!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The repetitive lines are so much fun, just like your snow day fun! Jennifer Sniadecki

    ReplyDelete